Davis Family Vineyards 2018 Estate Chardonnay, Soul Patch Vineyard, Russian River Valley

Davis Family Vineyards 2018 Estate Chardonnay, Soul Patch Vineyard, Russian River Valley

Item Number: 13411

UPC: 0-794504664409

Country: USA
Region: California
Sub Region: Sonoma
Appellation/AVA: Russian River Valley
Estate Grown Wine: Yes
Vineyard Designation: Soul Patch Vineyard
Vintage: 2018
Grape(s): 100% Chardonnay
Type: Wine - White
Bottle Size: 750 ml
Pack: 12
Closure: Cork
Alc by Vol(%): 13.9
Viticulture: Practicing Organic

The 2018 Davis Estate Chardonnay is a beautiful, crisp, clean, yet savory expression of the Russian River. It is a fun, flavor-rich Chardonnay with aromas of exotic tropical fruit, lemon custard, and spice! The goal each year is to achieve the seamless balance between the Old World and the New World, while maintaining a sense of place. In addition to this focus on terroir, Guy Davis strives to highlight the subtle nuances that make each vintage distinct.

Vineyard Notes: The Chardonnay is farmed from the Davis' Soul Patch Vineyard in the heart of the Russian River Valley. Only earth-friendly farming practices (organic and biodynamic) and manually harvest all of the grapes only when they are perfectly ripe. The Chardonnay block on Soul Patch Vineyard sits at the very bottom of the eastern-facing hillside. This is an extremely cool pocket, which allows the fruit longer hang time, resulting in bright, beautifully balanced acidity.

Winemaking Notes: The grapes are brought into the winery where there they are hand sorted and whole cluster pressed into juice. 70% of the grapes are placed into French oak barrels to undergo full malolactic fermentation, which helps to develop round textures and add richness to the wine. The other 30% is placed into stainless steel barrels, thus preserving the fruit purity and acidity. Fermentation occurs with native yeast. The wine is ages in the respective barrels for one full year. The barrels are blended just before bottling.

Vintage Notes: "The 2018 vintage was nearly ideal, with mostly moderate temperatures and an extended harvest that resulted in concentrated flavors backed by crunchy acidity." - Wine Spectator 8/2020

92pts (2019 Vintage) Wine Enthusiast 12/14/2021
"This is an earthy, herbal and fresh white wine, the midpalate succulent in melon, pear and crisp apple. Focused acidity keeps it energetic and lengthy, textured and well integrated in spicy oak."