Populis 2020 'Reversee' Red Blend, Mendocino County
Item Number: 15715
Sub Region: Mendocino
Appellation/AVA: Mendocino County
Estate Grown Wine: No
Grape(s): 56% Zinfandel / 40% Carignane / 4% Pinot Noir
Type: Wine - Red
Bottle Size: 750 ml
Alc by Vol(%): 12.5
Viticulture: Certified Organic
Case Production: 626
- Venturi Vineyard, Mendocino County: Carignane and Zinfandel; planted 1948, Pinole gravelly loam, sandstone, shale, quartz.
- Hawkeye Ranch, Redwood Valley AVA, Mendocino County: Zinfandel; planted 1948, Pinole gravelly loam, iron rich soils, cooler climate.
- Kimberly Vineyard, Sonoma Valley AVA, Sonoma County: Zinfandel; Goulding clay loam derived from metavolcanics.
- Bruce Vineyard, Sonoma Valley AVA, Sonoma County: Zinfandel; Huichica loam mostly derived from igneous and sedimentary rock.
- Bottage Vineyard, Sonoma Carneros AVA, Sonoma County: Pinot Noir; Haire clay loam derived from marine sediment.
Farming: Farming across all of the vineyards in the blend is organic. All of the Mendocino vineyards are dry farmed while the Kimberly, Bruce and Bottage vineyards received a minimal amount of irrigation timed to set and veraison.
Winemaking Notes: Each variety was fermented separately and then blended prior to bottling. All of the red wines were hand destemmed, punched down once a day and fermented for approximately 10-14 days. Approximately 25% of the overall blend is Carignane Rose from Venturi Vineyard. The Zinfandel portion of the blend that came from Bruce Vineyard is also rose. The Pinot noir was fermented on the skins for only 48 hours before pressing and finishing fermentation in tank. The components were blended after malolactic fermentation was completed, aged in flextanks and bottled in early May with 15 ppm sulfur added..
Tasting Notes: This wine is a quintessential bistro wine. There is loads of bright and juicy red fruit on the nose and mouth. Plenty of acid on the attack and a nice bite of tannin on the finish keeps this wine taught and oh-so drinkable. A lighter style that is delicious with lighter meats and vegetable, or straight out of the bottle.